Sunday, January 12, 2020

Pinoy on a work trip - Enjoyable experience aboard United Airlines

London - United goodie bag bwI recently flew on United Airlines from San Francisco to London for a work trip for a total flight time of a little over 10 hours, and then back.

Let me take you on a virtual tour what it is like inside a United Airlines flight with all the comfort of a business class cabin.


Only aisle seats were available when my flight was booked. I was not surprised about that because I was flying on a Friday morning and London flights from SFO seem pretty popular for both business and leisure travels. The aisle seats for this configuration is not a problem anyway since they also have access to the aisles without bothering a seatmate.
UA SFO LHR - Cabin


The configuration also allows for ample space to store personal items especially electronics such as phones and handheld devices. Electrical outlets are also near the desk area which makes it convenient for charging devices.
UA SFO LHR - Cabin space

Since the seats are a little offset, it allows for having a foot rest infront while seated or lying flat for sleeping. The chairs also recline mechanically. Because of the seat configuration, the leg space may be a little small for tall passengers. I actually prefer this configuration over the other United Airlines flights I've been on going to London.
UA SFO LHR - Cabin legroom

Here's a seat configuration in one of my previous flights going to London where the seats are all aligned. I had to bother my neighbor every time I went to the lavatory. I am not sure if this is an older seat configuration.
UA LHR SFO - Cabin

Another thing I liked about my recent United Airlines flights was the free toiletry bag. It could be reused to carry toiletries for weekend trips.
London - United goodie bag

Here's what they used to give away in my previous Business Class flights to and from London. There's just too limited use for a tin can, in my opinion. So I am happy that I got a real toiletry bag in my recent trip.
UA LHR SFO - Toiletry can

The inflight entertainment includes many new movies and music. As always, I used this opportunity to try out good non mainstream music while I read my book.
UA SFO LHR - Inflight entertainment

Now for the inflight meals. They were serving two kinds of red wine vintages - a 2013 Malbec by Bodega Catena Zapata and a 2014 Medoc wine by Chateau Greysac. Thanks to the flight staff, they let me try both wines.
UA SFO LHR - Dinner wines

I paired the Malbec with the warm nuts.
UA SFO LHR - Nuts

They served this tasty Thai style lemon grass shrimp with papaya and mango salad.
UA SFO LHR - Dinner starters

For the main, I chose this delicious seared turbot with wild rice and veggies.
UA SFO LHR - Dinner main

For dessert, I chose a pie and a brownie.
UA SFO LHR - Dinner dessert

I paired the dessert with a 2014 port called Churchill's.
UA SFO LHR - Dinner dessert wine

For arrival dining service, they were serving this tasty caprese omelet.
UA SFO LHR - Breakfast


They were using the same plane and configuration for my London to San Francisco flight. The difference were this toiletry kit and the food offerings. The toiletry contents are similar to the one I got from the San Francisco to London flight.
UA LHR SFO - Toiletry bag

They were serving this well balanced Bourgogne wine called Cote de Beaune-Villages.
UA LHR SFO - Lunch wine

I always look forward to munching on these warm nuts paired with a red wine.
UA LHR SFO - Nuts

For starters, they were serving this tasty salad and meat pate.
UA LHR SFO - Lunch starter

For the main, I selected this delicious seared salmon with veggies.
UA LHR SFO - Lunch main

I paired these select decadent pieces with the same port wine by Churchill's.
UA LHR SFO - Lunch dessert

I tried their snack offering of cheese, fruits and crackers.
UA LHR SFO - Snack

For the pre arrival meal, I sampled their warm and patty filled sandwich.
UA LHR SFO - Lunch sandwich

All in all, the flight was comfortable and I really liked the seat configuration because it made me feel I had privacy while having enough space I need for reading and relaxing while flying. This flight was a few notches better than my previous United Polaris flight experience.

I can't wait for my next United Airlines business class flight.

~rl


No comments: