Thursday, June 29, 2006

Balitang NYC

I thought Las Vegas is the only city outside California that I will visit more than once. I have added DC and New York in that list. We don't even remember why we chose NYC as our destination because I thought we've been wanting a beach vacation. I guess we just wanted to get away anywhere after a grueling week of signing papers and the long wait for the escrow to close.

We didn't do much touristy stuff this time. NYC used to be the city we like to hate but we've started warming up to it by becoming New Yorker wanna-bes for the third time.

We ate our way through the city and tried to do what locals do during our stay there. Cheap eats during the day and reasonably-priced sit down meals for dinner - around SoHo, TriBeCa, Hell's Kitchen or the Village.

The picture on the right was taken during our 'orgasmic' lunch experience at the Katz's Delicatessen located on East Houston and Ludlow Streeets in the Lowest East side. The best pastrami sandwich I've ever had!

This Filipiniana inspired wall art can be seen at Cendrillon. I think I've been to this restaurant often enough that I am included in the restaurant's mailing list. A friend from college takes me here everytime I am in town. This is what we need in San Francisco, a Filipino restaurant where the food is made mainstream. I think Cendrillon is for Filipino what Slanted Door is for Vietnamese. Cendrillon is located in the heart of NYC's SoHo district.

Ok we did one touristy stuff - walking on Brooklyn Bridge. It is just because the Salvadorean has not done this during his previous trips to the city. We walked it starting from the Brooklyn side of the bridge going to Lower Manhattan. My cousins and I did it at night two years ago but going the opposite direction. The view is equally great during the day. Too bad it was kindof overcast when we came here.

The picture on the left was taken on 8th Ave @ 38th St. in the Midtown part of the city. The great thing about this city is that it has a real summer weather and it is tough to pinpoint who's a New Yorker and who is not. The bagels in New York has a harder crust and regular coffee has milk in it. :)






No comments: