Tuesday, May 27, 2008

4 Hours Of Deep Thoughts

I've been on my feet for almost four hours now, that I started getting shooting pains in my legs and my lower back, as if my body is telling me it has overdosed on seeing the museum's prehistoric artifacts and ancient Chinese and North American relics. My stomach also started warning me that a lunch break has been long overdue. We still had two more floors to cover at the Royal Ontario Museum so the museum's café sounded like the logical choice to get sustenance.

It felt good when we finally sat down for lunch. My body is still sore from yesterday's more gruelling touristy schedule. The Salvadoran and I tried to hit as much spots as we could on our first day in Toronto so we stepped out as soon as we checked in to our north downtown hotel. I think we must have seen the city's major attractions all in one day - the CN tower, the Toronto islands, the Rogers stadium, the undergound PATH system, the more notable skyscrapers, the main shopping area on Yonge St, and was able to have dinner with friends who live in the city. Can you imagine all those walking? Nature was on our side because the weather was unseasonably cool that day. Toronto is also mostly flat which made it easier to navigate on foot.

The lunch at the museum café was surprisingly good just like the Toronto dining scene in general. We eventually discovered this later in the trip by eating our way through this Canadian city. For us, the true test had been in the ethnic food category.

After the satisfying lunch, we continued on with our museum tour. One area that got me curious was the First Peoples section. On display here are remnants of the early inhabitants of the area before the arrival of the Europeans. Paintings, boats made of cork and bark of trees that is sewn together, beadworks, tools for hunting, leather clothes, jewelries and accessories. I especially liked the different kinds of clothing pieces made of authentic animal fur which served as protection from the severe winter conditions in this part of North America, which is considered politically incorrect in this day and age. Designers should take a page on the design and intricate patterns of the First Peoples. It could be a real hit!

For the most part, it is quiet inside the museum. I also used this time to ponder on serious things in my life, my short term and long term plans. A lot of if's, else's, and more if's. It is interesting how I would stare at a certain painting, admire it for a while, and then letting my mind wander for a bit. This is what I like about taking time off. I get to ponder on personal matters. It is all good, I guess.

We have set aside one full day to see the Niagara Falls upclose.

~ral

(The photo above is the Toronto skyline taken from the central part of the Toronto islands.)

No comments: