Sunday, June 01, 2014

Back in Manila - Rediscovering the city's food scene Part 2

Manila sojourn - Don Bosco church view of tclvWhen in Manila, Mijo and I eat. Lots of choices and lots of variety. 

I took note of everything Mijo and I enjoyed eating in this trip.  Enjoy!




 I'll start this blog with the national beer of the Philippines.
San Miguel beer is the premier beer of the Philippines and it has been around for as long as I can remember. I usually order their pale pilsen. It is perfectly refreshing especially in warm tropical climates like Manila. It also goes well with most Filipino food.
Manila sojourn - San Miguel pale pilsen 

This is dried salted fish is locally called daing. I had this for breakfast during my stay at my mom's house. It goes well with garlic fried rice,  sunny side up eggs and a cup of coffee.
  Manila Sojourn - Home cooked breakfast

We were staying at The Columns Legazpi Village (TCLV) which is centrally located and near places to eat. The units are also quite bigger than most condo units in the area. The security staff are polite. Even though the complex is big, it was not crowded and it gives you that feeling of exclusivity.
Manila sojourn - TCLV twin towers

It is steps away from Don Bosco church.
Manila sojourn - Don Bosco church

There is a breakfast place next to the church called Coffee and Saints. We've heard good things about this place but it was our first time to be there so we didn't know what to order.
Manila sojourn - Saints and Coffee

The wall showcases pictures of past brothers who served at the Don Bosco church.
Manila sojourn - Saints and Coffee wall art

We started with coffee and some Filipino breads.
Manila sojourn - Saints and Coffee coffee 

Mijo settled on the Corned beef breakfast with garlic fried rice and egg. The corned beef is Filipino style which means it is garlicky and fatty but juicy and moist and very tasty.
Manila sojourn - Saints and Coffee cornsilog

I decided to get their bangsilog. The meal came with a side of spiced vinegar for the fish.
Manila sojourn - Saints and Coffee bangsilog

The bakery nearby sells lots of goodies. I also bought some spanish breads to bring back to our accommodation at TCLV.
Manila sojourn - Manna from heaven

 My brother R and my sister-in-law K, my nephew L, my sis, Mijo and I went to lunch one time at Wildflour in BGC.  My sis had been raving about this place so we decided to check it out one day.
Manila sojourn - Wildflour Cafe baguette

Before we ordered anything, I first checked out their bread selections. It was hard to decide which ones to get.
Manila sojourn - Wildflour Cafe pastries

But first things first. We ordered these refreshing fruits drinks - watermelon shake and a citrus blend drink.
Manila sojourn - Wildflour Cafe fruits drinks

We shared the plates that we ordered and because of this, we were able to sample more food without getting too full. We ordered this thick and delicious croque madame.
Manila sojourn - Wildflour Cafe croque madame

Next was this steamed mussels with garlic breads.
Manila sojourn - Wildflour Cafe mussels

We also shared this ultra cheesy mac-n-cheese. It has layers and layers of flavors.
Manila sojourn - Wildflour Cafe mac n cheese

My nephew opted for this salad with grilled chicken. I think he wanted the chicken more than the salad.
Manila sojourn - Wildflour Cafe chicken salad

As if we haven't had enough food, we decided to get desserts. This one was their decadent creme brulee.
Manila sojourn - Wildflour Cafe creme brulee

We also shared this ultra milky tres leches with dulce de leche toppings.
Manila sojourn - Wildflour Cafe tres leches

And lastly, we shared this sinful bread pudding.
Manila sojourn - Wildflour Cafe bread pudding

There was one time Mijo and I were walking along Greenbelt 5 when I saw this beautifully arranged shelves of Filipino desserts and sweet at Ristorante Pia y Damaso. I sampled their milky pastillas because it looked very tempting. It was super creamy and not too sweet.
Manila sojourn - Ristorante Pia y Damaso pastillas

I tried this Ya Kun Kaya toast for this first time at the Terminal 3 of Manila International before our flight to Boaracay. My sister-in-law K have tried this particular brand of toast while vacationing in Singapore a couple of years ago and she recommended it. It was perfect with a cup of kopi (or Singaporean style milk coffee).
Manila sojourn - Ya Kun Kaya toast bread milk

Another brand of cupcakes that my sis absolutely recommends is Cupcakes by Sonja. I decided to try all their flavors and shared it with the family - all eleven of us. The flavors are all good and it went perfectly well with Starbucks coffee.
Manila sojourn - Cupcakes by Sonja box 2

My favorite ones are the cheesecake flavor, the matcha and the salted caramel. Actually, they are all very good that is why it is difficult to decide which ones were my faves.
Manila sojourn - Cupcakes by Sonja box 1

While walking on Arnaiz St., in Makati after a light dinner, Mijo and I found this little bakery called Croque. It is neat inside and made us feel like we were somewhere in Paris inside a cute cafe. We ordered coffee with chocolate cake and a cupcake.
Manila sojourn - Croque cafe and bakery

We also had a wonderful dining experience at a place in Greenbelt 3 called Casa Armas. It is a tapas place so we decided to get a small plate of this tasty squid.
Manila sojourn - Casa Armas squid

And another small place of garlicky but super tasty gambas.
Manila sojourn - Casa Armas gambas

We also decided to sample their delicous seafood paella.
Manila sojourn - Casa Armas paella

For desserts, Mijo ordered this super rich but very good flan.
Manila sojourn - Casa Armas flan

We ordered coffee and paired it with this very chocolatey churros.
Manila sojourn - Casa Armas churros

Cafe Pascucci is located near Glorietta and serves coffee and cold Italian drinks.
Manila sojourn - Cafe Pascucci

I tried this refreshing Italian soda.
Manila sojourn - Cafe Pascucci italian soda

Mijo and I also went to Italiannis in Greenbelt 3 several times in this trip. One time, I ordered this chunky and hearty arroz caldo. Lots of flavors going on in that bowl.
Manila sojourn - Italiannis arroz caldo

There was also another time when this refreshing watermelon shake.
Manila sojourn - Italiannis watermelon

Also during another trip to Italiannis, I tried their deconstructed version of a Filipino breakfast called champurrado. Think of a sweet chocolate version of a congee. I think this was an innovative way to serve this breakfast favorite.
Manila sojourn - Italiannis champurrado

We also had a delicious lunch at Cibo at Glorietta mall. I had this bruschetta with slivers of parmesan cheese.
Manila sojourn - Cibo bruschetta

For my main lunch entree, I tried their sardines pasta. It was so unassuming and plain looking but it was so good and the tastiest pasta ever!
Manila sojourn - Cibo sardines pasta

Of couse, my trip to Manila won't be complete without a meal at Mary Grace Cafe. This iced tea is like a virgin cocktail because it has a lot of flavors going on in there. It was fruity at the same time refreshing.
Manila sojourn - Mary Grace Cafe sangria ice tea

I also ordered this Longsilog with their rosemary garlic fried rice. It was so good!
Manila sojourn - Mary Grace Cafe longsilog

For desserts, I ordered this creamy and thick hot chocolate. It is almost a dessert more than a hot drink but that works well with me.
Manila sojourn - Mary Grace Cafe hot choco

And I paired the hot choco with this lightly toasted enseymada.
Manila sojourn - Mary Grace Cafe enseymada

One time, my mom took me to her favorite snack place called Razon's. They are popular with a dessert called halo-halo and their version is one of the best one I've had.
Manila sojourn - Razons halohalo 

Another snack I tried at Razon's was this rice cake locally called puto.
Manila sojourn - Razons rice cake

And my mom and I paired the rice cakes with this simple but very tasty arroz caldo.
Manila sojourn - Razons arroz caldo

There was another time my mom and I had brunch at Via Mare in Greenbelt 1. I had this meal with garlic fried rice and dried fish locally called tuyo. It came with scrambled eggs with tomatoes and onions and a side of vinegar and picked papaya called acharra. That was a very satisfying brunch.
Manila sojourn - Via Mare tuyo rice

My mom opted for this crab omellete.
Manila sojourn - Via Mare Crab omelet

For dessert, we decided to try their sticky rice with mangoes.
Manila sojourn - Via Mare Mango rice

 It came with a side of coconut and sugar syrup. Superb!
Manila sojourn - Mango and rice

One evening, Mijo and I also had a very good hot bowl of ramen meal at Ukkokei on Arnaiz St.
Manila sojourn - Ukkokei ramen

Mijo, my sis and I also had a wonderful lunch during the week at a place called XO 46 Bistro Filipino. It is in the middle of the financial district and near my sister's office. 

We started with this Filipino snack called kropek.  It is a spiced and savory fried dough flavored with fish.
Manila sojourn - XO 46 Filipino Bistro kropek

The restaurant serves these rice cakes called puto with different flavors and it was on the house. It was served with a side of butter.
Manila sojourn - XO 46 Filipino Bistro rice cakes

We started with this Filipino version of ceviche called kilawin served with onions, chiles and other spices.
Manila sojourn - XO 46 Filipino Bistro kilawin

I ordered this very refreshing lychee shake.
Manila sojourn - XO 46 Filipino Bistro lychee shake

For our lunch entree, we ordered this tasty and spicy taro root leaves with coconut milk dish called laing.
Manila sojourn - XO 46 Filipino Bistro laing

And also this fried rice flavored with fish paste. The food at this restaurant has very good quality and the service was very friendly and attentive.
Manila sojourn - XO 46 Filipino Bistro bagoong rice

For bread snacks, Mijo and I regularly went to this place called Bread Talk.
Manila sojourn - Bread Talk sweet breads

They have several locations in the city.
Manila sojourn - Bread Talk green tea cake

And of course, our favorite sweet drink during that trip was Mogu-mogu.
Manila Sojourn - Mogu mogu

We always have a gastronomical experience whenever we are in Mainla. I can't wait for our next trip back in the city.

~rl

No comments: