Saturday, December 07, 2019

Pinoy on a work trip - Enjoyable flight experience on Singapore Airlines

SQ BLR SFO - Welcome drink bwI recently flew on Singapore Airlines from San Francisco to Bangalore with a layover in Singapore for a total flight time of a little over 20 hours, and then back.

Let me take you on a virtual tour what it is like inside a Singapore Airlines flight with all the comfort of a business class cabin.


I got a window seat for all the legs of my trip - SFO to SIN, SIN to BLR, BLR to SIN and then SIN to SFO. Even though the type of planes that I flew were not the same, the seat configurations are almost similar because they only have four Business Class seats per row.  I think that is generous. Even the middle seats had access to the aisles so you do not have to disturb your seat mate when getting up.
SQ SFO SIN - Window seat


The seats are wide so I had some wiggle room. The back rest is folded forward manually to change the seat into bed mode and you have to step out to the aisle to do this. The catch is that you can't just wake up and push a button to get into a semi seated position. You have to get up and step out to the aisle to undo the bed and manually redo the seat.
SQ SFO SIN - Aisle seat


There is a separate seat belt when the seat is in bed mode and that felt so much more comfortable versus other business class beds so that is a plus for me. The bed also has less bumps compared to other airlines and the bed is firm which is what I prefer.
SQ BLR SFO - Flat bed

The design is generous in desk space for magazines, book or laptop. Lots of leg room too. There's a foot stool on the side. I had to sit diagonally to rest my legs while sitting down. This is because the seats in this configuration are all lined up instead of being a little offset.
SQ BLR SFO - Angled legs

For the inflight entertainment during my SFO - SIN leg, lots of movies to choose from but I wanted to read my book instead. I enjoyed their music selection and got to try out lots of good new non mainstream music.
SQ SFO SIN - Music

These great noise cancelling headsets made listening to music even better while reading.
SQ SFO SIN - Headphones earphones

I always love these lightly scented hot towels that they pass before serving the meals.
SQ SFO SIN - Hot towel

For the wines, they were serving two Bordeaux wines and another Bordeaux style from Sonoma county. I decided to try their 2016 Bordeaux by Clarendelle. It was well balanced and it went well with my meals.
SQ SFO SIN - Red wine

I always love these warm nuts.
SQ SFO SIN - Nuts

They had several sets of lunch to choose from which includes meats, vegetarian, poultry and seafood. I chose the seafood. For the appetizer, I got this tasty seared scallops with shrimp, tomatoes and fennel.
SQ SFO SIN - Lunch scallop

For the main, I got this delicious grilled halibut with spinach and potatoes.
SQ SFO SIN - Lunch halibut

For dessert, I got this decadent passion fruit mousse cake paired with this green tea blend called Silver Moon by TWG.
SQ SFO SIN - Lunch dessert passion fruit mousse

I asked about the toiletry bags and I was told that they do not have those because all the toiletries should be available inside the lavatories and they are well stocked or frequently replenished.
SQ SFO SIN - Toiletries SQ SFO SIN - Toiletries bath

For my snacks while reading, I was craving for something salty.
SQ SFO SIN - Snacks

After a few hours, they served dinner. I chose this fresh peach salad with roasted fennel, walnuts and cheese paired again with the same Bordeaux wine from lunch.
SQ SFO SIN - Dinner salad fennel peach

Next was this tasty pan seared sea bass fillet with vegetable stew.
SQ SFO SIN - Dinner seabass

For dessert, it came with this delectable lemon food cake.
SQ SFO SIN - Dinner dessert cake

I decided to sample another TWG tea called Vanilla Bourbon red tea. This is what I liked about this flight. I got to sample great teas that I normally don't drink at home.
SQ SFO SIN - Dinner tea

The configuration of the seats for my SIN - BLR leg of the trip is a bit different than the SFO - SIN because the foot rest is directly infront so that means no more diagonal seating. The seat seemed not as wide though. Same Singapore Airlines ultra friendly and attentive service. Since the flight was only a little over four hours, I did not try their flat bed.
SQ SIN BLR - Seat SQ SIN BLR - Seat empty

I decided to pair these warm nuts with a Rumba cocktail which is a concoction of rum, pineapple juice and 7-up. Perfect!
SQ SIN BLR - Nuts

For dinner, I was not really hungry because they fed me a lot during my SFO - SIN leg. However, I took this opportunity to try out their Indian dishes. For appetizer, I decided to get their very tasty Chettinad rice cake.
SQ SIN BLR - Dinner Chettinad rice cake

For the main, I got this meal bursting with flavors called Thanjavur prawn curry.
SQ SIN BLR - Dinner Thanjavur prawn curry

For dessert, this simple yet decadent coconut jaggery cheesecake. My flight from SFO all the way to BLR may be almost 24 hours but it was comfortable.
SQ SIN BLR - Dinner Dessert

For my BLR - SIN flight, I was flying at one o'clock in the morning.  Even though I had eaten dinner at the Bangalore airport's lounge, I worked all day earlier and had gone to the airport from the office directly so I was more tired than hungry. After I had a sip of this refreshing mango lassi, I just dropped to my seat and fell asleep right away. This was unfortunate because I wanted to try the other meal offerings I had not tried in my previous flights.
SQ BLR SFO - Welcome drink mango lasi

For my SIN - SFO flight, I decided I was not going to miss the meals. Here was the welcome champagne drink.
SQ BLR SFO - Welcome drink

The previous flight, I tried their Bordeaux wine from Clarendelle. For this leg, I decided to try their other Bordeaux wine by Chateau du Taillan. Another well balanced wine!
SQ BLR SFO - Red wine

I decided to get their antipasto.
SQ BLR SFO - Dinner antipasto

For the main, I sampled their delicious lamb navarin.
SQ BLR SFO - Dinner lamb navarin

For the dessert, I chose their delectable baked lemon tart paired with a chamomile tea by TWG.
SQ BLR SFO - Dinner tea SQ BLR SFO - Dinner baked lemon tart

I tried a different snack set this time. I chose their crackers and cheese and then their artisan chocolates with a mandarin orange.
SQ BLR SFO - Snack crackers cheese SQ BLR SFO - Snack chocolate

For breakfast, I had fresh fruits and croissant with coffee and fresh OJ.
SQ BLR SFO - Breakfast fesh fruits

I decided to try their Congee. It was super delicious!
SQ BLR SFO - Breakfast congee

And it came with a dimsum set.
SQ BLR SFO - Breakfast dimsum


I had flown on Singapore Airlines several times but in their economy cabin and I had a great time. Now that I experienced flying in their Business Class cabin, I could say that it was one of the flights where I was most well rested. It was a very comfortable trip and the service was ultra friendly and the food super delicious. It was a five star experience!

~rl



No comments: